LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

My daughter is 16 and her friend were caught stealing from

My daughter is 16 and her friend were caught stealing from a Target in Chicago Il, I was told the charges were dropped ,and they let her go,she was not arrested.I have just got a bill in the mail from a liability company representing Target for 438.00 I was told I should not have received this bill due to the fact that she is a minor,but the Target security team says they are allowed to charge me. Please can someone tell me what the law on this is. Thank you for your time,Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

Hello Diane,
Can you please tell me (not a proper name, just a title or description), who told you the letter should not have been sent since your daughter is a minor?
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes a secuity guard at the grocery store near my home is a friend and said the state of Illinois does not allow minors to be charged, and that I shouldn't have been mailed a bill.

Hello again Diane,

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you and your daughter.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows. Effective January 1, 2010, the law in Illinois did indeed change to make 18 years of age the cutoff between Juvenile Court and Adult Court for misdemeanor prosecutions. In other words, the security guard is absolutely correct in that respect. However, the flip side is that the law doesn't apply to civil recovery, such as the liability companies pursue. Meaning, although your daughter isn't subject to criminal prosecution as an adult, a civil demand isn't restrained in like manner, I regret to say.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for both of you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Ben, I just didn't want to get taken for a ride from a big corporation,my daughter is working cleaning houses thru her spring break to pay for this,and she will. GOD bless you and take care!

Hello again Diane,

Thanks for writing back..great to hear from you!

You are most pleasure entirely!

It makes my day to know that my answers have been helpful to you. Thanks so much for taking the time to express your appreciation with such kind words.

Sounds like one of those life lessons, so I hope your daughter will learn and move on. I commend you for being an obviously caring yet conscientious parent.

Hang in there...the joys of raising an adolescent!

Kind regards,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Diane,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.