Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

I got a dwi in 1986, had it reduced to a bac ,got it expunged

I got a dwi in 1986, had it reduced to a bac ,got it expunged in 96 or 97 . Got a nother dwi in 2009 and just got charged with another one. Can they use the expunged one against me or am I looking at my 2nd offence

When a charge is expunged, that means that the records are destroyed and it as if they offense never occurred. So, if the offense from 96 or 97 was expunged, it would not now be used against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.