Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

my 20 year old son was on the beach and a police officer ticketed

my 20 year old son was on the beach and a police officer ticketed he and a friend for underage drinking. they did not have an open containers and were not load or bothering anyone. did the officer have probable cause? should he plead no lo contende tomorrow in court? no breathalyzer was given no blood taken
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

nolo contendere is the legal term for "I do not wish to contest". He can plea this...but it has the exact same effect as a guilty plea.

If there was no blood test? And no evidence of him consuming alcohol? And no confession? I would consider hiring a lawyer and fighting the case.

Probable cause is not going to be an issue if there was no blood test or no search. Probable cause comes into play when you have the police obtain evidence (like beer bottles, blood test results, etc) that you want to keep out of court...so I do not think that the focus should be probable cause. But if there is no direct evidence of him drinking...if there was no blood test, if there was no witness of him drinking, if there is no Field Sobriety Test results? Then there is not much evidence. To convict the state has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It may be your son can fight and win this at trial based on lack of evidence. If the goal is to fight this he should plea not guilty and then hire a lawyer to help him fight the charges in court.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The officer may say that he smelled alcohol on his breath and if asked point blank if he had been drinking then he would have to say yes. in 3 months he will be 21 and there would be no offense at all as he was walking on the beach with friends.

He believes that they will ask him to pay a fine not sure if there is a plea involved or if it is considered a misdemeaner? If it is a misdemeaner does he end up with a record?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
lawyer i was working with went offline and i need an answer tonight
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

Your son does not need to testify against himself. It is the officer that must present evidence. The officer smelling alcohol is probably not enough to obtain a conviction, As the prior consultant stated ( and he should receive credit for his answer) the State must prove the allegation beyond reasonable doubt. The problem you may have is what your son admitted to the officer at the time of arrest.

Secondly I would recommend contacting a criminal lawyer in your area . Many jurisdictions have a diversion program for first time offenders. It is a type of probation where after paying a fine and potentially community service the charges are dropped. It does require a plea of guilty. If you cannot afford an attorney you may be able to speak with the prosecutor at the first pare-trial to see about a diversion program. At the completion of the diversion program the record can be is expunged so it will not plague him later.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

florida has a juvenille age status offense since he is over 18 but under 21 does it apply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
person went offline and need an answer tonight
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
I am a Florida attorney and I'd be happy to help as you are in need of an answer this evening. Can you tell me what county this is in? Also, does your son have any other prior offenses? Thank you.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to have a bit more information before proceeding. However, it has grown late and I intend to sign off very soon. So, I'll respond with the information I have thus far. If anything requires clarification, please let me know. Regardless...

.

As to probable cause, this is actual a very low standard, much lower than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" that we see on tv and in movies all the time. Essentially, this just means that the officer must have some modest amount of evidence to support the arrest. If he observed a person that he believed to be under 21 and he suspected the person had consumed alcohol, he likely met his burden of probable cause.

.

As to the lack of a breath test, can tell you that this is not unusual in Florida. I have worked as both a prosecuting attorney and a defense attorney in Florida for over 15 years. In that time, I have handled several hundred underage drinking cases. Of those, probably around 10% had a defendant that was given a breath test or field sobriety exercises. These items are routinely involved in DUI cases, not so much for underage drinking cases.

.

As to his plea, while probable cause was likely present, beyond a reasonable doubt may be a tough burden for a prosecutor. Meaning, based on what you have stated thus far, it is possible that the charge could not be sustained in court. Additionally, Florida has a pre-trial intervention (PTI) program for misdemeanor offenses. PTI is offered to defendants with relatively innocuous offenses and with little to no criminal history. PTI is much like probation in that it involves classes and community service but it is hugely different from probation in that it leads to the charges being dismissed.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor