LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

A person was convicted in Federal Court of owning a firearm

A person was convicted in Federal Court of owning a firearm while being a felon. He served his time in prison, and successfully completed his probation. He would like to come visit his family in Europe for a couple of weeks. Will he have problems re-entering the US?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Absolutely not. We let anyone in. The problem may be in him entering the country he wants to visit. Many countries do not allow criminals in, regardless if they are nationals of that country or not.

So, while he can get a passport and would have no problem coming back to the US, I suggest you will want to check with the Consulate of the country he wants to visit to see if he would be detained at entry and not allowed in

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close the question and it will always be available for follow ups. A Rating will only close a CHAT and then convert it to a QA where you can always access it.

Thank You and good luck with everything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"We let anyone in". Who is "We"? Are you referring to Ireland? I didn't realize until too late that I had asked a question to a lawyer from Ireland. So I don't expect you to know every law about the US. You seem to assume that he can get a passport. But a little research on the Internet would have told you that not all felons can acquire a passport. It depends on the terms of release.

Thank you for your advice to check with the Consulate of the country that he wants to visit.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney (United States). Glad to try and help out.

The Legal Expert previously assisting you, whom I see you have opted out from further participation in answering this question, is entirely correct. I think there may be a misunderstanding, but I can attest that he is indeed a United States Legal Expert appropriately answering in this category. He is not in Ireland. This is a United States Criminal Law forum, and our screen shows your jurisdiction list as Florida. What he told you is completely accurate. Such a person you've described, who has successfully completed the terms of his sentencing conditions, will face no prohibition whatsoever to re-entering the United States.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.