LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I was implicated in a sting. Officers texted me from a number

I was implicated in a sting. Officers texted me from a number that I thought was a friends and they asked me to purchase marijuana. I met them thinking it was my friend outside of my apartment and they proceeded to tell me what happened. They then got a search warrant for my residence where they found more marijuana and a scale and bags etc... They took my phone but didn't arrest me yet. I believe they are going to ask me to cooperate. So as of right now I haven't been charged. I have copies of the warrant and everything they found. However today when I was cleaning my place I realized that not only did they not document the 2 ounces of marijuana I "sold" them but they also forgot to take the bag that contained the 2 ounces. They forgot it at my apartment. Does this mean anything for me? Does this make their warrant invalid because they don't have anything that I actually sold them because they forgot it here?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Pete,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news, as follows. The scenario you've described doesn't serve to invalidate the search warrant, per se. In other words, say law enforcement searched and came up with nothing. Likewise, that wouldn't mean the underlying warrant was invalid, assuming it met with the legal requirements.

However, you have a golden opportunity of sorts here, and one which is exceptionally rare. A criminal defense can approach the prosecution on your behalf, without risking making any admissions, where you would be unable to do so. What I'm saying here is that your only next step should be two-fold. First, whatever you do, remain silent and make no statements whatsoever to law enforcement. Secondly, confer with a local lawyer today.

Seriously, that's the only next two steps you should take. It's not optional, you do have rights here, but you must act to exercise them.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. I did talk with them on tape in my apartment yesterday. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Pete,
Thanks for writing back. Great to hear from you!
You are most welcome. My pleasure entirely to be of help.
No, it doesn't mean you're out of luck, but I won't lie, either. It's never, ever a good thing to speak with law enforcement. But, of course, you can't do back in time and undo what's already done. What I can say, however, without any hesitation whatsoever is that it makes it all the more imperative that you confer with legal counsel immediately.
If you need help, I also wanted to share this resource with you:
Iowa State Bar Association
It's pretty handy, if you don't know where to turn.
Hang in there, and I really hope things go as smoothly as possible for you.
Kind regards,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.