Texas Statute Sec. 483.045-Forging or Altering a Prescription states:
a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) forges a prescription or increases the prescribed quantity of a dangerous drug in a prescription;
(2) issues a prescription bearing a forged or fictitious signature;
(3) obtains or attempts to obtain a dangerous drug by using a forged, fictitious, or altered prescription;
(4) obtains or attempts to obtain a dangerous drug by means of a fictitious or fraudulent telephone call; or
(5) possesses a dangerous drug obtained by a forged, fictitious, or altered prescription or by means of a fictitious or fraudulent telephone call.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor unless it is shown on the trial of the defendant that the defendant has previously been convicted of an offense under this chapter, in which event the offense is a Class A misdemeanor.
Class B misdemeanors carry punishments of a fine of up to $2000, and/or a jail sentence of up to 180 days. The court may also impose a maximum of two years of community supervision (adult probation)* or three years of community supervision with an extension.
Since it is your first offense, it is certainly possible that you could receive a term of supervised probation and fines/costs. The judge has wide discretion when determining a sentence. Probation can include, but not be limited to, no other convictions, community service, fines/costs, etc.
Since this is a serious offense, you may wish to contact an attorney who specializes in criminal
law. Sometimes, an initial consultation is free or at a minimal cost. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how to proceed. An attorney may be able to strike a plea bargain with the prosecutor to get the charge reduced or even dismissed.
If you can't afford to hire your own lawyer, you can ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. In any case, you need to be represented so that the impact of any conviction can be as minimal as possible.
I hope that you find this information useful.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.
Thank you for your business!