AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family law Attorney serving California statewide

Once we got to court on the day specified, the calendar did

Once we got to court on the day specified, the calendar did not list our case. After asking the clerk and her not knowing, she asked the DA's office. They replied they were not filing charges at this time and they would let us know. How long is that? Can we get our guns back? Can they hold this over our heads forever or shouldn't they either file or drop it?

AttyCBradford :

For misdemeanor cases, the DA has up to a year to press charges. For felony charges, the DA has up to three years to press charges. However, after there has not been a conviction or a charge the property should be released. You will need to file a motion for return of property after making the appropriate demand upon the District Attorney's office as well as the police department who has your property. I caution you this will not be a quick process

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all your questions then please press accept and provide positive feedback, so I receive credit for my work. If not and you have additional questions please ask, and I will respond promptly. Please note: this is a PAID ANSWERING service, once your question has been answered, press accept. This conversation does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Lastly, sometimes it may take a moment to respond as I work with several customers at a time. Thank you and best of luck.