LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Can police use live scan fingerprints as a database to investigate

Can police use live scan fingerprints as a database to investigate an allegation in your work place?

Thank you for your question. Just to be clear are you asking if the police can mandate that an employee provide fingerprints during an investigation of an alleged crime in the workplace? If not, please clarify your question and give some context facts. Is the employee under arrest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the alleged offence is not a crime but rather question of professional conduct. At the work facility we have to go through live scan and my question is can the police at the facility use those that were thought to just be for a background check to identify prints?

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information, however I am still not clear what the "police" would have to do with a professional conduct issue if it wasn't a criminal issue. "Police" only handle criminal issues. So, I am not sure we are talking about actual law enforcement officers or employer security personnel. If the latter, let me know. Also, have you reviewed the policies of the employer which state what fingerprints can be used for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a California DDS facility and yes they have law enforcement officers who investigate all allegations made

I'm afraid we are having some communications issues and I am not going to be able to continue with the question. I will open the question up for another Expert who might be more successful in communicating with you. I apologize for the delay and there is no need to respond to this information request. An Expert will let you know when they have an answer for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I answered all your question

Hello again,

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney and registered nurse. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

As before, I will speak candidly rather than doing you the disservice of lying or misleading you. I didn't enact the law, and personally I often disagree with it, but nevertheless we're all stuck with it. I just wouldn't do you the disservice of lying or misleading you. So, here's the truth.

Yes, the law absolutely and completely allows the practice you've described. It's entirely lawful and extremely common.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D., R.N.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.