Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a document that is approx. 12 years old that a "lawyer"

I have a document that is approx. 12 years old that a "lawyer" is saying I need to have carbon dated. From the research I have made this seems like a waste of money. From what I have read carbon dating seems like it's more for items that are centuries old not decades. In my opinion this lawyer is trying to use scare tactics on me. What is your opinion on this matter.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Most radiocarbon laboratories are capable of giving a date to within an age range of 1-50 years old. There are more sophisticated carbon dating procedures that are extremely costly that can date things up to 4,000 years, etc.

However, a radiocarbon date will not be able to give you a specific date or even a year the document was created. But, if you need a general time frame, then it is likely worth doing.