Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

hi! i knew i had a charge but did not know that it was a felony.

hi! i knew i had a charge but did not know that it was a felony. Can you please tell me if 165.50 is a felony?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A violation of N.Y. Penal Laws, Section 165.50, possession of stolen property, is a Class D felony. You can also request a copy of your record directly from the state, to be sure of the charges.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can i get this expunged?I was 22, now i am 36

Unfortunately, New York law does not allow criminal records to be expunged where the person has been found guilty. Records may be sealed only where the charges are dismissed or the person is ultimately found not guilty at trial (or on appeal).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its my fist felony and its been over 10years, i read somewhere online that sealing a case maybe possible. Is this true?.

If the conviction was in New York, no, that's not possible. Every state has different laws, and there are some that allow a person to seal a first felony conviction after a certain time period, if there are no additional charges. Unfortunately, New York is not one of them.

N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law § 160.5 allows for sealing of criminal records, but only where the proceeding terminates in favor of the defendant. The only exception is certain non-criminal offenses or a first-time drug conviction where the person completes a diversion program, and those don't apply to the facts you've presented.