lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

My NC DL was revoked because I received a speeding ticket in

Customer Question

My NC DL was revoked because I received a speeding ticket in another state. I currently have a limited driving privilege that allows me to drive unlimited hours and areas granted by a NC judge. My questions: my job requires me to have a valid NC DL because I'm require to drive a company vehicle. Being that I have this limited driving privilege my job is now telling me that I am not allow to keep my job due to my DL not being valid. Is there anywhere in the statutes that address this situation. Does the limited driving privilege hold as a valid driving permit under the hours that the judge grant when it come s to insurance and liability to the company and vehicle. Is there anything in the statutes that address this as well? Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I deal with this a lot because of the 15 over situation in NC and people just pay the out of state ticket not realizing that it is a suspension. Unfortunately there is no statute or other law that addresses your situation. That is strictly a private issue between you and the company that you work for. It is a valid document that gives you the right to drive as specifically permitted and it usually is not a problem for the company or their insurance carrier but it may depend on the nature of the violation in the other state more than the fact you have a permit.

In other words if they terminate you, you have no legal recourse except to file for unemployment which should be granted but that would be up to the commission. Sorry and good luck.