Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

aggravated stalking las vegas nevada, can record be sealed

aggravated stalking las vegas nevada, can record be sealed ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question. Yes, if a person was convicted under Nevada Revised Statutes section 200.575, then they would be eligible to petition the court to seal their conviction record after "...15 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later..."

The sealing statute is set out below. That said, sealing is not automatic, and the petition could be denied if there is evidence of further criminal involvement. This person would be best served to find a local criminal defense attorney who handles post-conviction issues to assist them in their petition for sealing.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I would be glad to answer any follow up questions you might have.

NRS 179.245  Sealing records after conviction: Persons eligible; petition; notice; hearing; order.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 5 and NRS 176A.265, 176A.295, 179.259, 453.3365 and 458.330, a person may petition the court in which the person was convicted for the sealing of all records relating to a conviction of:

(a) A category A or B felony after 15 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;

(b) A category C or D felony after 12 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;

(c) A category E felony after 7 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later;

(d) Any gross misdemeanor after 7 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from probation, whichever occurs later;

(e) A violation of NRS 484C.110 or 484C.120 other than a felony, or a battery which constitutes domestic violence pursuant to NRS 33.018 other than a felony, after 7 years from the date of release from actual custody or from the date when the person is no longer under a suspended sentence, whichever occurs later; or

(f) Any other misdemeanor after 2 years from the date of release from actual custody or from the date when the person is no longer under a suspended sentence, whichever occurs later.

2.  A petition filed pursuant to subsection 1 must:

(a) Be accompanied by current, verified records of the petitioner’s criminal history received from:

(1) The Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History; and

(2) The local law enforcement agency of the city or county in which the conviction was entered;

(b) Include a list of any other public or private agency, company, official or other custodian of records that is reasonably known to the petitioner to have possession of records of the conviction and to whom the order to seal records, if issued, will be directed; and

(c) Include information that, to the best knowledge and belief of the petitioner, accurately and completely identifies the records to be sealed.

3.  Upon receiving a petition pursuant to this section, the court shall notify the law enforcement agency that arrested the petitioner for the crime and:

(a) If the person was convicted in a district court or justice court, the prosecuting attorney for the county; or

(b) If the person was convicted in a municipal court, the prosecuting attorney for the city.

Ê The prosecuting attorney and any person having relevant evidence may testify and present evidence at the hearing on the petition.

4.  If, after the hearing, the court finds that, in the period prescribed in subsection 1, the petitioner has not been charged with any offense for which the charges are pending or convicted of any offense, except for minor moving or standing traffic violations, the court may order sealed all records of the conviction which are in the custody of the court, of another court in the State of Nevada or of a public or private agency, company or official in the State of Nevada, and may also order all such criminal identification records of the petitioner returned to the file of the court where the proceeding was commenced from, including, but not limited to, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the California Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information, sheriffs’ offices and all other law enforcement agencies reasonably known by either the petitioner or the court to have possession of such records.

5.  A person may not petition the court to seal records relating to a conviction of a crime against a child or a sexual offense.

6.  If the court grants a petition for the sealing of records pursuant to this section, upon the request of the person whose records are sealed, the court may order sealed all records of the civil proceeding in which the records were sealed.

7.  As used in this section:

(a) “Crime against a child” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 179D.0357.

(b) “Sexual offense” means:

(1) Murder of the first degree committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of sexual assault or of sexual abuse or sexual molestation of a child less than 14 years of age pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 200.030.

(2) Sexual assault pursuant to NRS 200.366.

(3) Statutory sexual seduction pursuant to NRS 200.368, if punishable as a felony.

(4) Battery with intent to commit sexual assault pursuant to NRS 200.400.

(5) An offense involving the administration of a drug to another person with the intent to enable or assist the commission of a felony pursuant to NRS 200.405, if the felony is an offense listed in this paragraph.

(6) An offense involving the administration of a controlled substance to another person with the intent to enable or assist the commission of a crime of violence pursuant to NRS 200.408, if the crime of violence is an offense listed in this paragraph.

(7) Abuse of a child pursuant to NRS 200.508, if the abuse involved sexual abuse or sexual exploitation.

(8) An offense involving pornography and a minor pursuant to NRS 200.710 to 200.730, inclusive.

(9) Incest pursuant to NRS 201.180.

(10) Solicitation of a minor to engage in acts constituting the infamous crime against nature pursuant to NRS 201.195.

(11) Open or gross lewdness pursuant to NRS 201.210, if punishable as a felony.

(12) Indecent or obscene exposure pursuant to NRS 201.220, if punishable as a felony.

(13) Lewdness with a child pursuant to NRS 201.230.

(14) Sexual penetration of a dead human body pursuant to NRS 201.450.

(15) Luring a child or a person with mental illness pursuant to NRS 201.560, if punishable as a felony.

(16) An attempt to commit an offense listed in subparagraphs (1) to (15), inclusive.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law