Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My son was sentenced for vehicular homicide in 2002. He is

My son was sentenced for vehicular homicide in 2002. He is in the DOC system. Are there any new good time or early release laws in Louisiana?

Is there anything that I can do to help with his case? He has been in the DOC system for about 10 years. He has never had a write up in those 10 years. He has taken every program that has been offered to him. He also completed a course at LSU with college credit (correspondence)

I am sorry to hear of this situaton for your son

How old was he when convicted?

Also what do you calculate his release date to be at this time? I am just wondering if my calculations and yours are about the same.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was 40 years old and now is 50. His earliest release date on his rap sheet is 2022 and his Good time release date is 2018.

Yes, that is about what I had calculated give or take a few days.

There are no new laws as they pertain to Good Conduct credits as you asked in your question

But hopefully , your son is taking advantage of all programs which also can help reduce his sentence

For instance, in LA inmates may earn up to 180 days - total - for participating in approved vocational training, adult education or literacy programs or correspondence courses

Time Off for Good Behavior/Program Participation The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections awards diminution of sentence and educational good-time credit in accordance with Louisiana statute. These policies credit an inmate’s sentence with time off for good behavior and allow an offender to earn credit for participation in vocational or educational programs.

Credits apply to an inmate’s mandatory parole date. Persons released under diminution of sentence shall be supervised in the same manner and to the same extent as if he or she were released on parole. The supervision shall be for the remainder of the original full term of sentence. Inmates are eligible for good time from the date of their sentence to the department on actual time served in custody and all time in custody prior to receiving their sentence.

Prison overcrowding or other factors outside an inmate’s personal conduct do not affect the awarding or revocation of good-time or educational good-time credits. Time computation allows inmates convicted of nonviolent crimes, and who are otherwise eligible to earn good time, to be given the opportunity to earn good time at the rate of 30 days for every 30 days served in the department’s actual custody, in lieu of incentive wages. Nonviolent inmates who opt to earn incentive wages may earn 15 days good time for every 30 days in actual custody. While inmates who opt to earn good time do not receive incentive wages, they are not prohibited from receiving remuneration in a work release program or a certified private sector or prison industry enhancement program.

These nonviolent offenders must be eligible to earn regular good time or diminution of sentence in order to be approved to earn educational good-time credit, which is awarded as follows:

10 days per month of educational good-time credit may be awarded to inmates participating in full-time, approved vocational training, adult education or literacy programs;

one to five days of credit, per calendar month, may be awarded to those participating in part-time
assignments; and 30 days of credit (not to exceed 10 days per calendar month), per course, may be awarded to inmates successfully completing a correspondence course.

I think I have answered all your questions; however, if not, please let me know.

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Thank You and good luck with everything