Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Lawyer
Experience:  Expertise in criminal law, rules of evidence and criminal procedure.
44472555

My grandson was charged with second degree murder in chicago

Customer Question

My grandson was charged with second degree murder in chicago 4 years ago. an appeal was filed but denied.we are looking for another appeal for him . He has had no problems in prison, and he is going to school in there. He has a daughter who really needs him at home due to her physical challenges. she is also blind doesnt talk and she is 11 years old. she is being raised at this time by her grandmother cause her mother gave her up. Terrell has always been there for his daughter even when the mother wanted to give her up but he would not. we are seeking to get a reduction in his remaining time if at all possible. Is there any thing that can be done. Terrell was a honor student at Whitney Young HS, but he later start having mental challenges. he was to start seeing someone at the time of his involement in the charges against him.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 3 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Obviously, while he remains incarcerated, he cannot have custody of his child. However, he still could petition for visitation rights. The Court will decide whether it is in his child's best interests to visit him while he is in prison.

Steven Kincaid :

Does the grandmother have a court order giving her custody or is she just taking care of her grandchild informally?

JACUSTOMER-4gk3155p- :

terrel signed over partial right to her so she could get funds from social security for medication and doctor assistiant. he want these rights back when he is release grandmother has no problems with that. Daughter is getting harder to manage due to all that has to be done for her. Terrell did all these things when he was home.

JACUSTOMER-4gk3155p- :

my question was not answered. i was not writting about visitstion or custody. i was inquiring about the next step in appealing for a reduced sentence.

Steven Kincaid :

I will forward this to a criminal law expert then. It has been categorized as a family law question.

JACUSTOMER-4gk3155p- :

what is going on with thses chat comments? im confused

JACUSTOMER-4gk3155p- :

thank you for this experience, but Im really confused.