Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

I am writing up a pro se appeal to send in to the district

I am writing up a pro se appeal to send in to the district court; however my question might apply to any number of situations. My argument is for "ineffective counsel" and in the addendum to my report I have inclued emails shared between my lawyer and myself and which illustrate why I felt the counsel I received was inadequate. Now, these emails I plan to include in the addendum; however I wish to focus attention only on the relevant information shared in the emails. What I mean is there might for example be a page long email in which only the first few lines of type are relevant, and this rest is irrelevant. Some of the irrelevant stuff is personal info which I do not want to share. Might I be able to block out the irrelevant paragraphs and write over it something like "omitted". Technically I am under no obligation to share with the court anything. Am I allowed to select portions of type which I wish to share, and hide other portions? Thanks.

It is perfectly appropriate to redact documents to leave only the relevant information, this actually helps the reader focus in on the important information while skipping the rest. One important thing to keep in mind though, make sure you do include all relevant information though. If you do not, then the opposing party may seek to have that information included as well and the net effect would be to make it appear that you were attempting to hide information.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.