Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I live in Virginia and have an ignition interlock on my car.

I live in Virginia and have an ignition interlock on my car. I failed a test three months ago but passed five minutes later. From what I've been told, this isn't a problem. Last night though, my boyfriend was supposed to pick me up from work in my car and failed the test but passed five minutes later. I'm worried that this repeated offense will cause problems for me. I know I'm responsible for all blows. I've heard ASAP gives you three fails that you pass before they will violate you. Is this true?
The purpose of the second test when there is a failure is to account for "mouth alcohol" which can cause an incorrect test reading. Thus, if the operator blows a second time in 5 minutes and passes, the first test failure is disregarded as a probable error based on mouth alcohol. Mouth alcohol can be caused by a lot of things like gum, toothpaste, mouthwash and some medications, which is why the rules provide for a second test and there is no way you could lose that much alcohol in 5 minutes between the failure and the pass.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”