Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

regain gun rights-drug related felony in Fla.-final conviction 1989 no violence-no weapon.

Submitted: 1 year ago via ExpertLaw.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I reply.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me:

1) how old are you now?
2) have you had any convictions since then?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

date of birth 09/01/194-no criminal convictions since

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

I am going to assume that you had a conviction for your felony.

If so, then it makes you ineligible to own a firearm under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g).

However, it is possible to have your right reinstated, but there is no guarantee. A party in your situation may wish to file for what is known as a pardon. Essentially, Florida may pardon your conviction via its Office of Executive Clemency. See here on how to file, and, scroll down to "Download an application for a pardon, firearms, or restoration of civil rights (Updated 10/11/2012)."

Now, there is no right for a pardon - it is at the state's discretion.

Once this is done, and if the conviction is pardoned, then the firearm restriction would be lifted. A pardon functions to void the conviction in the eyes of federal law. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20) and (a)(33).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.