LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

could a person be extradited from another country back to the

could a person be extradited from another country back to the united states for domestic assault?

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unless the assault resulted in great bodily harm or the use of a dangerous weapon, it would generally be classified as a Class D or Class E crime---the equivalent of a misdemeanor, and while a state could in theory extradite a person back to the US for such a crime, from a practical standpoint it doesn't happen. The cost to the state to extradite is simply too expensive and they don't bother.

Here is the official US list of member countries to extradition treaties with the US:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/71600.pdf

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Ash. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the charge was domestic violence assault class c there was no injury or harm involved wld a person b extradited for that ? especially if they were working and established in another country already?

Good evening Ash,

You asked:

While technically possible, it would be quite unusual for a state to go to the trouble of seeking extradition on such a charge. It also sounds as though the crime were over-charged as well if there was no injury---unless the was the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon. But that won;t justify extradition, as a general rule

Doug