LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

what is the statue of limitations for domestic assault in

what is the statue of limitations for domestic assault in maine
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Presuming that great bodily harm was not done in the assault, the crime would likely be prosecuted as a Class D or Class E crime, for which there is a 3 years statute of limitation.

The reality is though, that if a crime of domestic violence is not reported soon after the event, then it oftentimes is not prosecuted---often because of lack of evidence to support a conviction.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but what is the statue of limitations if it were a felony?

Good evening Ash,

If the crime is prosecuted as a felony, and the victim did not die, the statute of limitations is 6 years in the state of Maine.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
Thank you once again for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you.

Thanks again.

Doug