CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I was charged with littering in a NYC public park. I tossed

I was charged with littering in a NYC public park. I tossed a piece of paper on the ground, and the cop cited me. Going on line, I see that technically this is a misdemeanor. Do I need a lawyer before going to criminal court, or should I just pay the $50?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Are you being charged under New York City Administrative Code § 16-118? is that is what is on the citation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I am being charged with a violation of park rules 104(c).

John, thank you for the additional information. You first want to decide if this is something you want to fight or rather just resolve. The reason I say that, is because if you have no legal defenses to raise and want to resolve this, you can ask the court for a plea and/or just pay the allotted fine, if they will allow it. You can also ask about any type of diversion program that is set up, which would allow you to avoid having to pay anything and which would allow the matter to be dismissed. For a case like this, they may require you to perform some community service, is exchange for a dismissal. It is certainly something you can ask about, if your appearance in court is mandatory. You do not need an attorney but can always retain one, to act in your best interest, if you think this will have an effect on you. Throwing a piece of paper on the ground is not going to result in jail or probation but a fine and court costs are likely the worse case scenario.