Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I have a prison pen pal. I recently wrote him and we were talking

Customer Question

I have a prison pen pal. I recently wrote him and we were talking about art. Without thinking I asked him to sketch his cell and out his window, his fellow prisoners and maybe even label some of them. I meant it simply as an art exorcise, but after mailing, I realized the prison may think I was requesting some kind of off limits schematic or diagram. Did I break any rules, and would I get in any trouble?

Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

No, you didn't break any laws and I've never seen a rule that would apply. If your letter was asking for something against the rules they would have never let it go through..

JD 1992 :

You can't get into any trouble for asking anything like that although, potentially he could get into trouble for sending it to you. The rules are different for prisoners than for people on the outside.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

so is there anything in a letter I could do that would ever get me in any hot water?

Customer:

I often ask him about other prisoners and things

JD 1992 :

Only if you say something indicating you are committing a crime or trying to induce him to commit a crime.

Customer:

he is always requesting pictures of women, not nudes,but like sexual pictures cropped so no nudity, and he also requested erotic stories. I have sent him these in the past. He also sent me another prisoners contact info inside and mentioned hes lonely and if im bored, I could mail him too. Is any of that off limits as far as Im concerned?

JD 1992 :

You can get "banned" if your letters break any rules about what a prisoner can receive, but those rules vary by prison and you would have to contact that particular prison to see what is forbidden.

Customer:

but it woud never face any criminal issues

Customer:

the worst case scenario is me being banned?

Customer:

there are laws i could break

Customer:

no laws i could break

JD 1992 :

I can't think of a way it would cause a criminal problem, other than the two I mentioned about crimes.

Customer:

oh i missed that

Customer:

can you talk a little more about that

Customer:

what do you mean, induce him to commit a crime?

JD 1992 :

If you tell him you know somebody in there and ask him to beat him up, if you help him arrange to commit some kind of crime by acting as a go between, etc

JD 1992 :

You'll know you shouldn't be doing it when you do it.

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i dont think that applies

Customer:

what if i make some joke about him beating up a criminal in there, but then he goes and does it

Customer:

what is the name of the law i would be breaking

Customer:

for inciting a crime

JD 1992 :

I've never seen or heard anybody getting into trouble sending a letter except for obvious things.

Customer:

so its not some subtle thing

Customer:

it would take some doing

Customer:

and be obvious

JD 1992 :

It depends on the crime, but it would usually be some sort of a conspiracy charge. On TV they say you are an "accomplice".

Customer:

thank you for your time with this

JD 1992 :

No problem. Good talking to you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Customer:

would a conspiracy charge = jail time?

JD 1992 :

It could. Very little is automatic.

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

now im nervous again

JD 1992 :

What you told me earlier isn't going to get you into trouble.

Customer:

can you give me a tangible example of stepping over the line

Customer:

ust hypothetical

JD 1992 :

The only thing I have ever heard of was someone wrote a person in prison and told them that they knew someone who had just been transferred there and that they needed to be beaten up. That person was charged when the person actually was beaten.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

so it was like a gang thing

Customer:

was there like an exchange, like beat this guy up and ill pay you

Customer:

or do this for you

JD 1992 :

Yes, I believe that was correct.

JD 1992 :

I don;t believe there was any exchange.

Customer:

so just asking is enough

Customer:

ok thanks so much

Customer:

maybe i could show you my letter

JD 1992 :

In something like that, yes.

Customer:

Hey Dave,

That is so funny about the December letters. Well, better late then never , right? Also glad that my letter got to you on Valentines day, at least you hopefully had a nice surprise. Definately do not scale back on my account. I love getting your letters and the longer and more detailed the better. They are great. The dont cost me much to view, do dont worry about the length and if you need to break them up into a couple parts becuase of some page limit, thats cool too. Hopefully you do not feel burdoned writing them. Are they fun for you still? I hope so. Its wild to think of random guys getting other guys letters. Have you ever gotten the wrong mail? I would be interesting to spy in people lives, but also rude. Who runs the mail room and delivers the mail? What are the different jobs in prison and what the best and worst ones?

Ive discovered that teaching is very very exhausting. It sounds easy on paper, but the reality is, its draining. I do enjoy my one class though. Im glad im doing it. Im teaching a computer graphics class, my specialty dealing with the look of the elements. Its an art school. My job at Ford is also related to the look of computer graphics elements in their design dept. The school is the College of Creative studies in Detroit.

I cant imagine 7 days without showering. I hate one day without. I get itchy skin and clammy feeling, and sticky hair. Plus the whole prison must start to smell like a locker room. I would also hate to live in fear of losing possesions and not knowing when the officers might come in and disrupt my routine and life. How much contraband is out there, its it really common? How does that stuff get introduced into the closed environment? Somehow it makes it in. Do you see lots of crazy things inside, like those home made weapons or drugs or home brewed alchohol? Is must stuff just things to make the day to day more comfortable, like the electronics and a sewing needle. I saw a show where someone had a home made tattoo gun once.

That is a great Ray story. So his job is to clean up the block? How does that work, he just gathers trash left around, like papers and litter and food containers? Does he just gather it into a trash bag and take it down to some disposal unit? Its also funny you have an elevator. I actually hate elevators, i feel trapped in them, especially if its a slow moving one and takes awhile to reach one new floor. I always think its stuck. Is it private in there? Do you get really dirty with Rays job? And who was he visiting i wonder. That was ballsy of him to say No to an officer. I would worry this officer will be more upset with Ray now and angry the Captain sided with Ray, this guy might bully Ray now for awhile.

Do you ever see fights? How could they happen and would they be broken up quickly? Would anyone ever be in danger or does anyone ever get hurt?

Are there gangs?

I read about your cellmate and the crime he was involved in is pretty horrific. He didnt just drive the teen to the site, she was kidnapped. She was in the backseat screaming and stuff. And there are conflicting reports about whether he was there or not, but you are right that he didnt take part directly in the rape and murder. Still, he could have prevented the crime. He had to know something crazy was about to go down. That 13 year old girl really suffered. How could this guy be friends with that gang that did that. And they all kept silent for years afterword. he didnt like go to the cops and let the family know what happened. So that doesnt help his case either.

Wild hes kind of a jokester in there and even picked on by other guys. Is he small? I would hate the chatter box aspect of his personality also. Can you talk to him about it? Maybe silence him respectfully? What does he look like physically? What does Rays roomate look like physically and even Ray himself, how would you describe him? Just curious.

What is some of the latest gossip in there? Did you ever hear Ray chatter? I guess your cellmate just tried to reduce his sentence and instead got more time. 6 more years. 2 years less then Ray now. I wonder if the other guys in is group is in your prison too?

I sent you a drawing the same way I send the collages. Hopefully you get it. I think you can send the drawing to my service and they will scan it for me. Just send it like you would one of your letters, folded in an envelope or whatever and they will take care of it. I like using my service right now, its easy and convenient. The only issue is, if you send to my service, they will destroy the drawing if you dont request them to return it to you. So let me know if you want it back and I will be sure to tell them not to throw it away.

Do you currently have to keep your letters to 6 pages? I didnt think there was a restriction like that. I think I can get as many as you can send. Is it expensive on your end? Do you have enough supplies and stamps and stuff?

I dont think I still have that montage unfortunately but I can make another. it might not match exactly.

I havent yet mailed Michael but I can if you want.

I dont write to any other inmates currently. Lawrence the macdougal guy disapeared on me and stopped responding. I hope hes ok. He vanished.

I would definately think there might be negative energy in the prison, the history, all the victims, and of course angry inmates who have died over the years. I can imagine the victims haunting the building. I would if I was a ghost. I also hate bad ettiquette, like conversing through those slits in the doors. that would make me crazy. I would need headphones in the prison I think. Still good to know you do have decent sounds proofing in there. I was surprised by that.

I love horror games and movies. I have played silent hill. That stuff is great. It will get to me. I dont like overly gorry things, i like more atmospheic stuff. Not torture porn. I also like to read horror books. I have an over active imagination and can often scare myself. I have even written horror short stories, nothing pro, just for fun.

I loved picturing your cell. I would also love the drawing, Try an experiment and make some kind of drawing and fold it in with your next letter. I shoud get it fine. They will scan it. I think I would like the top bunk also.

What is it like out the window? Is the glass cold? What can you see? Do you hear wind or anything? Rain?

So can you get any magazine subscrition? Is anything off limits?

I do like zombies. Its cool his mom buys those zombie comics for him. I guess his family really does support him. i wonder if that will last forevor and what they really think about it all. I wonder if his whole clan does, or just his parents. If you do get my drawing, maybe you can show Ray and tell me what he says. Dont hold back, I can take any and all critism or comments.

One thing that would make things easier would be if you saved all your pic montage requests and story requests till the end of your letter and in one place. That way when I search I could just have that one part open and go down a list. Not a critism, but it would make my life easier :) A nice little organized section at the end.

Work has been going ok lately. My boss Jeff left for a week, so we have a pretty calm environment now. They replaced the furnace in my apartment and it smelled for a day. I got freaked by the chemical smells coming out of it but I guess its ok. Im still alive, haha. We have had nasty weather here this week. Blizzard conditions and messy and cold and sloppy. Im tired of the winter and i want spring already. That is one tough thing about Michigan.

You asked about Canada. Canada is great, but there are pros and cons.

I have lived in both Toronto and Vancouver. Canada is pretty relaxing and chill. Its like America, but with a slight euro vibe. Its slower paced and slightly behind us in terms of culture and technology, but also they have European influances, like different books then our book stores carry. The people are nice, relaxed. Things are pretty expensive. Lots of fees and taxes, but also less crime and danger. Its less crowded too in general. Colder and more spread out. Cleaner. Toronto is awesome. I really liked Toronto. Tons of amazing women and culture and excitment in the city. The women all look stylish and wear sundresses. Big sunglasses and many smoke. I had a cool bacheler apartment there. I like cities you can walk in, less driving, you stay in shape and feel the city around you. You feel more part of everything.

I saw a bunch of PS4 demos online. It will really be cool. I hope to get one when it comes out later in the year. Im trying to play the Mass Effects games right now. A cool sci fi roll playing franchise. There are three of them.

Im reading a series of books right now about a fictional hitman. They are kinda cool. Mayne there are hitman in your prison, hehe. That would be weird.

I dont mind looking at the pictures when you request them. Its not completely my taste, but that is ok. When it comes to women and porn, I tend to like more amatuer, innocent types, smaller petite girls. Why do you think you like the interacial porn? Where did that desire come from do you think?

I have been eating a ton of arab food lately, its big here. Schwarma and rice and lental soup. Its pretty good and healthy.

How many women do you think you have had sex with?

maybe you can do some little doodles of the guys around you, or scenes out of your prison door or window. Your surroundings. It doesnt matter if they are any good. Just fold up the paper and include it with your next letter. Label who the guys are. Maybe do one of ray. heh.

Do you see alot of guys naked there. Do you have much privacy? Do you ever get searched on your person? What is medical treatment like?

Do you feel like Ray is scary, or is his cell mate scary? LIke physically I mean, do they seem dangerious? What was your worst day last year in prison and what was your best day? What makes a good or bad day?

Are you reading anything lately?

Do you think the officer that ordered Ray and got shot down by the captain will now be upset with Ray and have it out for him?

I tend to like brunettes more then blondes, often ethnic girls.

Maybe you can record some conversations you have with your cell mate. Not literarly but on paper.

So what is Michael Currys story? Ill send him a letter. Ill mention you in it.

How do you get some water if you are thirsty during the day?

Do you have any friendships or good conversations with any of the officers?

I will send another letter with some more erotic stories and also another seperate letter with more pictures after this one. In a couple days.

Did you ever tell any of these guys you hang with about me?

Thanks as always Dave, and more soon. Stay safe. Talk to Ray some more about his life and his comic drawings if you can. Maybe you can show him my drawing if you get it.

:)

Carl

JD 1992 :

No, nothing in there that would get you into trouble at all.

Customer:

what about asking about the other guys

Customer:

pressing for info

Customer:

being nosey

Customer:

thanks so much for reading

JD 1992 :

No, you won;t get into trouble for that.

Customer:

ok, i appreciate your time

Customer:

thanks for the patience

Customer:

goodight

JD 1992 :

Nothing in there will an issue.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.