TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.

ok back in august of 2010 for three days only I dated this

Customer Question

ok back in august of 2010 for three days only I dated this guy name mike. well I went with mike to his sisters house and he and his sisters husband left to go do something and left me ther with his sister, which was fine I thought. well hours later they return to sis house and shortly after so did the police raiding the house for stolen property. I was only questioned and mike and sister and husband all went to jail. well so I thought wow thank god that ended quick me and mike I could of got in trouble. well little did I know back in dec. 2012 three days before Christmas a knock at my front door and at my surprise its the police with a warrant for my arrest for conceling stolen property from back in aug 2010. so I go to jail bond out go to court and the da wants to give me five years drug classes parenting classes and im floored like do what I dint have any thing to do with none of this only knew him three days and just met sister. I have no priors never been involved in drugs and I don't believe I need parenting classes because some jerk I met is a thief. what can I do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 1 year ago.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

First off, have you hired an attorney?

Customer :

yes I did

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Has your attorney reviewed the evidence provided by the DA?

Customer :

yes and im really not sure whos side hes on.

Customer :

ive explained a

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What was his recommendation?

Customer :

the whole story to my lawyer and he said that the da gave everyone in this matter a conviction and prison time and hes not just gonna let me off with nothing

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Has your ex made statements against you?

Customer :

my lawyer said it would b in my best intrest to go to some classes called caps and try some parenting classes and im like what ive done nothing wrong.

Customer :

no nobody said anything about me there was nothing to tell. I didn't even really know anybody.

Customer :

I have four kids im a single parent and I cant afford any of this. and it would be one thing if this was something I was involved in or needed but I don't do anything but take care of my four daughters. I don't hang out with anyone but my kids.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Without knowing all the evidence the DA says he has against you, it is impossible for me to say what you should do as far as a plea is concerned.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

However, I can tell you that if you did not commit a crime, your attorney should not recommend that you plead guilty.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You have a right to a jury trial, and the DA would have to prove that you participated in the theft.

Customer :

im not a criminal and I did nothing wrong other then not run a background check on who I went out with. my lawyer says it could be as high as ten thousand dollars for me to plea not guilty

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you cannot afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one for you. Also, the judge has to let the attorney off the case. He can't just decide to stop representing you without approval from the judge.

Customer :

I feel as though im being railroaded in to a guilty plea because I cant afford to go jury trial cuz I would take it all the way to prove im not guilty

Customer :

but they told me that because I bonded out of jail that I cant use a public defender

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

That is not necessarily the case. You have a right to counsel, even if you can't afford it. You just need to prove to the judge that you can't afford a lawyer. That may mean going and get pricing from other lawyers. But, like I said, your current attorney won't necessarily be let off the case.

Customer :

I don't know im totally confused as to what even is going on and why. they all had afc and I only had a dui eleven years ago.

Customer :

I go to court again on the seventh. should I tell my lawyer that im not and can not afford those classes and I will not plead guilty

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Like I said, I'm not in a position to tell you how to handle your case without seeing the evidence, but I can say that a person should never plead guilty to something they did not do.

Customer :

that's what I think to. well Im with u on that its not fair how this court system is being ran. but im not going to let anyone make me out to be a criminal when im not. so thank u u gave me the courage I needed to tell them im not guilty.

Customer :

to stand up for myself

Customer :

thank u very much

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer :

nope that was it. thanks again

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I'm glad I could help. If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, if you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by typing "this question is for TexCrimLawyer" in the title.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is there something else I can do for you?