Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I have a felony for transporting an elk across state lines

I have a felony for transporting an elk across state lines with an improper tag. I remain on probation for another year. I have booked a trip to fish in the Bahamas. My probation officer has no problem issuing a travel permit and I have a passport. Will I have any problems getting through customs and into the country?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am afraid that I do not have good news for you.

Customer:

What bad news is that?

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, most countries currently share information about criminal convictions with each other and Bahamas and many other countries would in most cases discover the felony conviction and would deny entry.

Alex Esquire :

I have had several clients who were convicted of felonies and were denied entry to Bahamas, EU and some other countries.

Customer:

Can I go to a consulate or other source and attempt consideration

Alex Esquire :

You can.

Customer:

Do you by chance have any contact information?

Alex Esquire :

The only way to travel is to obtain a visa first after undergoing an interview and investigation.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, there would be very slim chance of obtaining a visa while on felony probation.

Alex Esquire :

What state are you in?

Customer:

Where do I get the interview and investigation? Oregon

Alex Esquire :

Bahamas Embassy , United States

XXXXX North West
DC 20008
Washington
United States
Phone:
+1-202-3192660
+1-202-3192667
Fax:
+1-202-3192668
Email:
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Alex Esquire :

Here is the contact information for the Embassy of the Bahamas and they can provide you with an application for a visa.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have that number. I'll give it a try. Any other words of wisdom.

Alex Esquire :

Well, I hate to say it, but it will be very difficult to travel overseas with any type of felony conviction and especially while on active probation.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

I have heard many countries let you in. Especially with a non-violent conviction. The probation is restrictive usless your probation officer gives you a travel permit. Mine will

Alex Esquire :

Some countries do, but most of the countries that would let people with felony convictions to enter, are third world countries, which do not have a system in place to check backgrounds.

Customer:

Thanks Alex I'll be sure to do my homework before I do any traveling. Have a good night.

Alex Esquire :

Also, once the probation is over, you will be able to apply for visas to the countries you want to travel to and the embassy / consulate will review your application and make a decision on whether to issue a visa. It is definitely a plus, when the conviction is for a non-violent crime.

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

Thanks Alex. What is my charge for your advise and how do I conclude my "just answer" account?

Alex Esquire :

The charge is $50 that you have already deposited with JustAnswer.com, but I only get a percentage of this entire amount.

Alex Esquire :

The way to accept my answer is for you to click on the excellent service rating.

Alex Esquire :

Which might be next to a "smiley" face icon.

Customer:

So I will not be billed in the future as a "monthly client"

Alex Esquire :

Correct.

Alex Esquire :

Unless you have signed for a monthly subscription.

Customer:

Thanks Alex! Signing out

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and GOD bless you!

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear XXXXX,