Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  18 yrs of NYS criminal defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

when a defendent pleads not guilty to a charge he was arrested

when a defendent pleads not guilty to a charge he was arrested for and want a jury trial who pays for that?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The state picks up the cost of a criminal trial. When you're a criminal defendant you have a Constitutional right to a jury trial if a loss of liberty is possible. However, if you lose the trial, there maybe be court costs or surcharges that you'd have to pay upon your sentencing.

Experience: 18 yrs of NYS criminal defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I am called in or supena and I testify do I need an attorney

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda,

Why do they need you to testify? Are you a complainant on a criminal matter or a witness? Would you be testifying for the prosecution or for the defense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was the victim of a domestic battery with assault with deadly weapon I was taken to er.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda,

Thanks for clearing this up.

Then you are the complainant on the case, and the prosecutor is representing your interests. So you do not need another lawyer. He or she probably needs you to testify before the grand jury to get an indictment against the person who assaulted you. Or you're needed at a hearing for the same purpose.

You would need a lawyer if you didn't want to testify against this person and intended t show up and honor the subpoena but then refuse to testify You'd need one if you ignored the subpoena, because you could be charged with contempt. In either one of these situations, your interests would be very different from the prosecutors and you'd need representation. However, if you want your assailant brought to justice the prosecutor's already got your back and you would need nobody else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for clearing that up but i AM STILL SCARED TO GET UP ON THE WITNESS STAND. you have been a big help