LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Nineteen years ago, in the state of Indiana, I was adjudicated

Nineteen years ago, in the state of Indiana, I was adjudicated delinquent of a sex crime that would have been a class D felony if committed by an adult. I was given counseling and went on with my life. I've never had to register as a sex offender or such.

Lately, I'm considering jobs that would require a background check, and I'm fearful that my juvenile adjudication will show up. I've run several background checks on myself over the internet, and none of them have shown the adjudication.

What I'm wondering is essentially if:
a) the record is likely/unlikely to appear in future background searches that may be done by employers or background check agencies;
b) if I would be eligible/likely to receive expungement if I requested it; and
c) would I need a lawyer to get it expunged?
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Juvenile records are not a part of the criminal background checks that are available to the general public, and so long as you are not applying for military service or a professional license with a state---but just a regular job---all the background check is going to show is your adult history.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Indiana law does allow you to seek an expungement. Here is the law on the subject, and yes, it will be necessary for you to have an attorney help you---unless you are familiar with the legal system and have experience in filing and arguing petitions:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title31/ar39/ch8.html

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Robert. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.