RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My so XXX XXXX XXX is looking for a stat

My so XXX XXXXXX XXXX is looking for a state appointed lawyer, he was arrested for probation violation, he is in the Los Angeles County Jail in Los Angeles, was arrested unjustly, could you please help

Thank you for your question.

While site rules forbidden professionals on this site from recommending specific lawyers, your son can get a public defender, which is a court appointed lawyer that works for the state, at his initial court appearance. As a general rule, when a defendant is in custody, the court will automatically appoint a public defender for the hearing unless there has been notice filed of appearance of a private lawyer. Your son will likely have to fill out a financial affidavit at his court appearance as well to ensure he qualifies for their services.

You can contact the Office of the Public Defender (choose the office closest to your son) but they likely cannot give you more than just general information at this point, as they cannot work on your son's case until formally appointed by the judge.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will the court automatically appoint a public defender that work for the state and not for the judge when he go to court and will they talk one on one with him, that's why he is asking for a State lawyer. because some of the public defender will reside with the Judge, is that's true

I'm not sure what your son means by a "state lawyer", there is no such thing. The office of the Public Defender is a state agency that employees lawyers in the service of defendants in criminal cases who otherwise cannot afford private attorneys, so they are "state lawyers" in that sense, but there is not a separate state lawyer office - you either get a private attorney on your own or a public defender.

The public defenders are licensed attorneys, and they, like all attorneys, have an ethical duty to the clients they serve to provide the best representation possible. Therefore, no, they will not side with the judge. Indeed, most of the public defenders I know are extremely zealous representatives of their clients and take their jobs very seriously, doing the best they can for their clients.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last question, can you or do you know someone on the defense side that you can referr Daniel to when he goes to court on 3/6/2013

Thank you so much

Jay XXXX (XXX) XXX-XXXX XXX

Hi there,

Unfortunately, site rules prohibit experts on this site from recommending specific lawyers or firms.