Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

If a police officer files for an arrest warrant without either

If a police officer files for an arrest warrant without either being a witness to the crime or having a signed complaint from either a witness or a victim is that allowed under Massachusetts criminal code
Yes, he does not need a "signed complaint" all he needs is a report of a crime and some investigation to show that there is probable cause that the person being sought in the arrest warrant is likely the party who committed that crime. Police get warrants all of the time for crimes they did not personally witness and merely received a report about without any "signed" statements. There is no requirement in the law about obtaining signed statements I am afraid, the only requirement is probable cause, which is reasonable articulable information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that it is more likely than not that the accused committed the criminal offense. Probable cause is all that is needed for an arrest, even though for a conviction the prosecutor must prove the defendant committed a crime beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a much higher standard than probable cause.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you mean by the staement that all that is needed is some investigation is required. If the officer goes to a magistrate and files for an arrest warrant and states under oath that what he is filing is true and the only one he interviewed was the supposed victim without any corrobarating information is that sufficient

That is sufficient, he does not need any corroborating evidence if he has interviewed the victim and there is some articulable ground why the officer believes that the alleged victim is credible, then the officer can go to get a warrant for arrest.

The process you describe is what happens every single day in every single town and city in MA and other states. The officer based on a statement of an alleged victim that the officer can articulate as to why they believed the victim is credible goes to get a warrant based on that as probable cause for the warrant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had been told that in Massachusetts if the Plaintiff does not sign off on the report that the police officer files in the Court that it is not true to Massachusetts Law Code requirements. Is their a particular GLA code that says the police officer does not need anything signed from the victim and that the victim does not have to request or ask for an arrest to be made but the officer can do it on his own.

I practice in MA, and what you "have been told" I am afraid is not correct and is not what happens in reality. There is nothing in the code at all saying the officer must have a signed statement or does not have to have a signed statement. By any chance from the tone of your questions it sounds like you are also talking about a domestic violence allegation or case, which is a completely different animal and it falls under MA General Laws Chapter 209A Section 6 and nowhere in that statute does it state the police need any signed statement and in fact the Commonwealth is the victim in a domestic violence case and the law says the police shall make an arrest (or get a warrant) in domestic violence cases.