RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

What kind of crime is it if someone went into a Museum and

What kind of crime is it if someone went into a Museum and impersonated my attorney, to take without my permission 7 vintage football helmets that were on display, then proceeded to sell them in an auction and keep the money. He never told me any of this. I moved out of state & my wife just happened to stumble upon the auction online.
Thank you for your question this evening.

The taking of the property that did not belong to them and which was done without your permission would be considered grand theft if the value of the helmets was over $950 (which presumably it is, I'm sure). It could also be considered burglary if they entered the museum with the intent to take the property.

Impersonating a lawyer is a misdemeanor offense under California Business and Professional Code section 6126(a): "Any person advertising or holding himself or herself out as practicing or entitled to practice law or otherwise practicing law who is not an active member of the State Bar, or otherwise authorized pursuant to statute or court rule to practice law in this state at the time of doing so, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in a county jail or by a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment."