Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter 14 is dating a 19 year old, whom I have personally

My daughter 14 is dating a 19 year old, whom I have personally known for 7 years. They do not engage in any sexual activity. My daughter is a virgin, had to have a pelvic, so I know for sure. In Wyoming what is the statue on this so I can be clear?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Stevexo replied 1 year ago.
Qualified as an expert in Criminal Law,30 years of Criminal Defense trial work. Hi glad to help. You came to the right expert, as I use to run the sexual offender division at the Public Defenders Office. In Wyoming the laws are very strict for this type of crime. The first one that could fit would be Sexual abuse of a minor 2nd degree, this sexual abuse of a minor requires sexual intrusion, consensual, with the actor 17 years old or greater, a victim that is 13-15 years of age, and 4 years or more younger then the actor. This carries up to 20 years. In the case of just sexual contact, this is Sexual abuse of a minor in the 3rd degree and here the actor needs to be 17 years or older, victim 13-15, and at least 4 years younger then the actor.Thus you might want to tell the young man of the possible penalties! I have three Daughters myself, and I always make sure to inform the boys of the potential crimes they will want to avoid. You can also tell him that it does not have to be intercourse, as just sexual contact carries up to 15 years. Good luck, and hope this helped. Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is sexual contact? The only thing they have ever done is hug and kiss. Nothing else. My daughter and her BF are saving themselves for marriage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
he never answered my second question
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a another expert on Justanswer. Under Title 6, Article 3, "Sexual contact" means

touching, with the intention of sexual arousal, gratification or abuse, of the victim's intimate parts by the actor, or of the actor's intimate parts by the victim, or of the clothing covering the immediate area of the victim's or actor's intimate parts.

Also, "sexual intrusion" means:

Any intrusion, however slight, by any object or any part of a person's body, except the mouth, tongue or penis, into the genital or anal opening of another person's body if that sexual intrusion can reasonably be construed as being for the purposes of sexual arousal, gratification or abuse; or sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, analingus or anal intercourse with or without emission.

You can see the full set of laws including statutory consent for sexual activity, here.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So a 14 year old and 19 year can date as long as their is no sexual contact or sexual intrusion? Correct?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

"Dating" is an idea - there is no definition. Dating can mean anything from "spending time together" to "sexual intercourse." So it depends on what they are doing (and, not doing).

They can spend time together, yes. But sexual contact (or intrusion) is not allowed. Furthermore, Wisconsin does not have a "Romeo & Juliet" clause, where individuals close in age may indeed engage in sexual activity. In Wisconsin, the age of consent is 18. So any sexual activity with anyone under 18 may be penalized even if they are close in age (which, they are not).

So yes, they can date, but their dating is limited to non-sexual contact. If you wish to permit them to do this, then this is your choice (as a minor, the child is under your care and must follow your instructions). If you wish to stop them, reminding the young man of the law and noting that you will not hesitate to contact the police even if you suspect sexual contact may be enough for him to reconsider the relationship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wyoming????

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. This was an accident, and I am amending my answer to reflect this now (just a moment). Additionally, your original expert is online and he may feel free to chime in and take it from here if he feels it necessary...
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
My sincere apologies for that - I do not know why I stated Wisconsin. The majority of the answer and the conclusion stays the same. The original definition for sexual contact stays the same:

Under Title 6, Article 3, "Sexual contact" means

Also, "sexual intrusion" means:

As for dating:

"Dating" is an idea - there is no definition. Dating can mean anything from "spending time together" to "sexual intercourse." So it depends on what they are doing (and, not doing). They can spend time together, yes. But sexual contact (or intrusion) is not allowed.

This is where the answer is modified:

The age of consent in Wyoming is 17. There is a Romeo and Juliet clause, but it does apply because they are too far apart in ages: "An actor commits sexual assault in the third degree if, under circumstances not constituting sexual assault in the first or second degree: (i) The actor is at least four (4) years older than the victim and inflicts sexual intrusion on a victim under the age of sixteen (16) years..."

(6‑2‑304)

Hence, the same applies, still, in the end:

Apologies again for the miscommunication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Understand that I do permit this. This boy is one day I hope to be my son in law!

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your clarification. If you do permit this, then, they can date all they want. But "dating" can only be platonic until she turns 17, because any sexual activity (as defined earlier) is illegal until she is 17.

Thank you for your clarification, and again, my apologies for the earlier miscommunication.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.