TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

Is it illegal to carry medicines (heart, diabetic, blood pressure,

Is it illegal to carry medicines (heart, diabetic, blood pressure, pain) in containers other than the original bottle with your name and RX # XXXXX it. I have been told both by some that you do and others that the duplicate RX label carried in your wallet is sufficient since the pills can be identified by their markings. The problem is the space required to pack the bottles is overly burdensome and some such as Lantus or Novolog are in cardboard containers and must be keep cold and would become a soggy mesh of disolved paper in the ice cooler.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What state are you in?

Customer:

Texas, but I travel throughout the lower 48

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

OK. This is a question that comes up from time to time and the answer is that it IS technically illegal, but most officers will not make an arrest just for carrying them outside the bottle. If you have the prescription, you should be OK, but, again, it is technically illegal. I just can't imagine a DA taking that case.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hoping otherwise since it is easier to remember when they are in a weekly x 4 times case.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I understand. It is frustrating.

Customer:

Having to spend a day explaining to someone isn't worth ruining a nice trip. thanks again.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I agree. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

no that was it. I imagine kinda mundane for a criminal lawyer, but i'm glad you answered.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Have a good trip!

Customer:

nite