Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I was told that y case involved a Misdemeanor...when I got to court on

Customer Question

I was told that y case involved a Misdemeanor...when I got to court on January 22, 2013 I received a Criminal Protective Order - Domestic Violence under Penal Code 136.2 under California Superior Court - Is that a Felony or a Misdemeanor
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Actually, a Protective Order issued under the statute you cited is not a "conviction" but merely a protective order, and therefore is neither a misdemeanor or a felony. On the other hand, if there was criminal conduct that occurred that gave rise to the protective order, for example an assault, then that would be charged under a different statute and that would be either a misdemeanor or felony depending on how it was charged and what the facts were.

You can see the statute that you cited by going to:

Let me know if you need clarification or have any related follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you with those.