TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

I had a situation in 1976 in Atlanta, Ga whereas I was jailed

I had a situation in 1976 in Atlanta, Ga whereas I was jailed for driving with no license but received a assault on police charge while incarcerated. I wasn't convicted. I was given probation and released after one (1) month in jail. I live in Maryland and would like to purchase a gun. I'm I eligible?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Was the assault charged as a felony?

Customer:

No for sure

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You said that you weren't convicted, but you were given probation. Are you sure you weren't convicted?

Customer:

Possitive

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you weren't convicted, you should be able to purchase a firearm. Restrictions on firearm purchase are based on convictions, not charges. In other words, if a person was charged with murder, but the charges were later dropped, the person can still legally purchase or possess a firearm.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, not all convictions, even if they result in jail time, make a person ineligible for a firearm. If you spent time in jail for driving without a license, that does not prevent you from buying a firearm.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

I appreciate your answer and I wondering what you thought on whether I should go to Atlanta, GA for further investigation or should I hire a lawyer to look into the matter to give me a more concrete answer I can give a gun dealer not allowed to purchase a fire arm? And what price do you thing a lawyer would charge for such service?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You should probably find a lawyer in GA. The cost of travel alone for you might be as much as you would end up paying a lawyer. It should not cost you more than a few hundred dollars, most likely less than $500.

Customer:

Thanks for your answer. Will I be able to print this session to reflex on later as I plan my next move?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, you can print it and it will be accessible through your profile, too.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, if you need help finding a lawyer, you can use www.lawyers.com or www.martindale.com.

Customer:

Great, is that it.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help. If I can't help you with anything else, please remember to "rate" my answer before you log off.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I help you with anything else?