TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

i have 3 brothers and we have not been getting along. their

i have 3 brothers and we have not been getting along. their communications with me are very disturbing. their past treatment of me has also. they have not been violent but, have potential based on treatment of me as a child. coincidently, enough that i have been diagnosed with major depression, ptsd, panic/ axniety disorder. iv'e had 2 psychiatrists advise me to stop any contact with them. however, we have some legal/parents estate issues to resolve. i would like to get an order for them to leave me alone. based on what youv'e read what kind of order could i get and how severe an order. thanks

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to get a protective order.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The law limits the categories of people who can get a protective order to those in a particular relationship with the abuser. These include a spouse, ex-spouse, people living together at the time of the assault or who have lived together within one year before the assault occurred, persons having a child together, or persons in an intimate relationship (significant romantic involvement that does not have to include sexual involvement).

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You can, however, tell them to not contact you. If they continue to do so, you can report them to the police for criminal harassment.

Customer:

well, i'm a little confused. i was just reading in the just an. archives of someone who was seeking a protective order against a neighbor and he didn't know her name. she has been yelling at his mentally challenged daughter. he was adivised to file the order against a jane doe. so, i'm not clear what the parameters are for getting a protective order. can you clarify. thanks

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Are you sure it was a question relating to Iowa?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Below is information from Polk County, Iowa on protective orders:

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Do you have any questions?

Customer:

well, i looked at your link for polk county. it appears to pertain to people in relationships. i just don't understand. do i have to put up with my brother's crap even if it leads me to suicide.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You can tell him to not contact you anymore. If he does with the intent to harass, annoy, or alarm you, you can call the police and report him for criminal harassment.

Customer:

well, i'd have to call police on all of them and it would be my word against theirs. what's definition of criminal harrassment.

Customer:

thank you