Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I had a question if a person didnt commit a crime yet still

Customer Question

I had a question if a person didn't commit a crime yet still found guilty by the jury should he or his relatives write anything about his guilt or innoce
nce in the support letter to the parole board
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

No his friends and relatives should say nothing about his guilt or innocence unless they are going to try to indicate that he has learned the error of his ways, feels great remorse, and you've seen evidence of his rehabilitation. The last thing in the world that is going to impress a parole board is that a convicted felon who has done all of his time is still not willing to accept accountablility for his actions. If he's not guilty, the proper venue to have explored that is in an appeal, not in a petition for release from Parole.

If you can't talk about how remorseful this person is, then you should ignore that piece and stick to other things like his history and background and character traits that he has manifested to you which would demonstrate that he can become a productive member of society upon his release.