Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal law experience in both JAG and the civilian sector.
20011183

Will I go to jail for being overpaid by the unemployment office

Will I go to jail for being overpaid by the unemployment office $444 it was last year in January. I was working for my company which had a work in claim for 2 or 3 months, where i couldnt work and when I started working again with them i filed for 3 more weeks while working.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Three weeks of fraudulent filing (assuming the worst charge) isn't going to lead to jail time. You would have to pay back the overpayment, you'd be fined (sometimes as much as three times the amount overdrawn) and you'd be disqualified for a certain number of weeks from future unemployment benefits, usually for at least the period of time that they are claiming fraud.

For prosecutors to become involved, seeking jail time, the case has to involve a concentrated and extended effort to work while collecting unemployment for months. The lowest I have ever seen jail time come out of was for 4 months of fraudulent claims, but that person had a record of fraudulent claims already.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answer I feel so at ease now, I'm in college now and that would ruin my future, I'm done taking shortcuts.
Good luck going forward. Cooperate with unemployment, work through the fines and the disqualification period and learn from this experience.

Take care.