Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Im sure my daughter is being stalked. Shes 27, just married. They

I'm sure my daughter is being stalked. She's 27, just married.
They just moved into a new home with houses still
being built. One of the workers keeps coming
up to her in his truck while she's running trying
to make conversation. He keeps showing up
where ever she is - grocery store, her place
of work, and her driveway when shes finished
Running. she said he looks about
60, skinny with long wiry hair.
I'm really worried and need advice.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer: Yes but pls I'm on my cell so slower response
Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

Did your daughter inform the man who has been approaching her to stop contacting her and that she is not interested in having any type of contact with this man?

Customer: Ok
Customer: No. She was being polite to a fault. Now she's afraid to reject his attempts to talk
Alex Esquire :

Well. The first thing that she has to do it to tell this man in a very firm way that she is not interested in any type of contact with him and for this man to leave her alone and not to ever contact her or to approach her.

Alex Esquire :

Once she does tell this man to stay ways from her, then if he ever tries to approach her again, she should call police and make a report of stalking and harassment.

Customer: Ok. However, she is a massage therapist and holistic health practitioner
Alex Esquire :

This is a very serious situation and in today's world, your daughter simply can't take the chance of being harmed or further stalked by this older man, just because she wants to be polite and civil, especially if it is obvious that this man has some type of interest in your daughter and has been pretty much following her around.

Alex Esquire :

That doesn't change anything.

Alex Esquire :

She can be anyone professionally, it doesn't make her any less vulnerable to a threat of harm from a potential stalker or possibly a maniac...

Customer: I know but her husband and my husband think we may be over reacting so I need
Customer: to know what she should do. Report to the police? She's a massage therapist and
Customer: hes trying to book an appt with her. He has showed up in the
Alex Esquire :

If this man has been following your daughter around and has shown such an unhealthy interest in your married young daughter, it would not be wise or safe for your daughter to provide any massage services to this man.

Customer: grocery store the last 4 times she's been there no matter what time of day.
Alex Esquire :

Your daughter has the right only to provide her massage services to the clients that she is comfortable with.

Alex Esquire :

The first thing would be for your daughter to firmly state to this man that she is in now way, shape or form is interested in any contact with him and to demand that he stays away from her or he would fact legal action.

Alex Esquire :

This is generally the plan to address a stalking / harassment situation!

Alex Esquire :

Does it make sense?

Customer: What if this sets him off?
Customer: Should she file a police report? He's pulled up in her driveway several times
Alex Esquire :

Well, in that case your daughter should not do it alone but should be with her husband and may be couple of other people close to her.

Alex Esquire :

This man has no right or reason to pull into your daughter's driveway.

Alex Esquire :

She can try to file a police report, but the police would normally tell your daughter to also inform this man to stay away from her, so there is no misunderstanding about the situation.

Customer: I know. And we all want to confront him but when is it wise to go to police. What determines that?
Alex Esquire :

Basically, once this man is clearly put on notice not to contact your daughter, which can also be done in a written form, if you have this man's mailing address, to avoid confrontation and the cease and desist letter should be mailed by certified mail with return receipt requested, to document such notice to stop contact and if this man still continues, then it would be proper to file a police report and also to possibly seek a restraining order against this man.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer: We'll do that. Hope it works
Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Good Luck and GOD Bless you!

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear Jill,

Good Luck and GOD Bless you!