Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

When purchasing a firearm. The form has the question: Have

When purchasing a firearm.
The form has the question: Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

Would it count ... if say you had an argument with a girlfriend and you told her sarcasticly to shoot you... Then the police came and you get detained overnight in a hospital ward to be observed because you told her to shoot you (admitted to police you said that)...
Does this count as being committed to mental institution? And prevent you from legally owning a firearm?
btw - no arrest (just detained overnight in a hospital ward and had to talk to a pychiatrist before leaving the hospital)...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

What else would you like to know?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

did you see my question?

Alex Esquire :

Were you ever ordered to be held in a psychiatric facility against your will or in other word had been involuntarily committed to psychiatric treatment by the court?

Customer:

no...nothing by the court

Customer:

i was arguing with gf

Customer:

and it got heated

Customer:

because she gave me an STD

Customer:

NOT HIV

Customer:

herpes

Customer:

it was a few years ago

Customer:

i told her to shoot me

Customer:

i was pounding on the door

Customer:

she called the police

Customer:

i told her to shoot me

Customer:

they showed up

Customer:

i admitted i said that

Customer:

they took me off to the hospital

Alex Esquire :

While, I cannot provide you or any other JustAnswer.com customer with legal advice or tell JustAnswer.com customer what to do or what not to do, as such legal advice can only be given by a local attorney upon review of all the documents and facts, if someone is simply placed in a mental health facility for an observation, it would not be considered "commitment" for the purposes of the application to purchase firearm.

Customer:

i stayed their overnight

Customer:

then i was released ///

Customer:

so just the police put me there for the night...there was no court involved

Customer:

okay

Alex Esquire :

Anyone can be held for an overnight observation, as I stated, such overnight observation would not generally constitute a "commitment".

Customer:

happened like 10 years ago

Customer:

ok good

Customer:

i was kind of thinking i wasnt committed so to speak

Customer:

but i wasnt 100 percent sure

Alex Esquire :

Commitment would generally mean that a person was ordered to be placed in a mental health facility "committed" by the court

Customer:

ok good

Customer:

i appreciate the response

Alex Esquire :

Not a problem and I wish you the best of luck!

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

YES.

Customer:

ONE last one.

Customer:

would that show up on some kind of record check?

Customer:

i wouldnt think so ... unless they ...whoever was researching it knew the hospital name , etc

Alex Esquire :

Generally not, as there was no court involvement

Customer:

ok. thats what i thought.

Alex Esquire :

As I said anyone can be taken for an observation, people have bad days when they simply might loss it, without being violent or threat to anyone...

Alex Esquire :

it can happen to the best of us

Customer:

yeah it was a real bad day. luckily no court ... no arrest ...

Customer:

just detained for a day

Alex Esquire :

many times people are simply taking to a psych ward for their own protection, since they might be going through some dramatic even in their life.

Customer:

i was pissed... my car got towed

Customer:

and i had doctors bills

Customer:

ok... thanks

Customer:

i appreciate your time. bad moment 10 years ago...maybe more now... could of been 12 years ago

Customer:

ok Thanks

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor