Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

I have a question about my local police station. Once I lost

I have a question about my local police station. Once I lost my cell phone and it was turned into my local police station by a neighboor, so they called me to come pick it up which was nice. They asked me for my driver's license as proof of identity so I showed it to them.

On another occassion my dog ran away and someone turned him into the same police station. Again someone called my home to let me know they had my dog. My dog had name tags so that is how they knew to call me.

When I went to pick up my dog it was a different police officer at the reception area. The police officer knew my name without asking me who I was when I went to pick up my dog.

I didn't think anything off it until I had to go to the police station again for a seprate issue, it was nothing imp. but again there was a different officer and she was able to identify me by first and last name before I had the opportunity to tell them why is was there.

My question is how do these officers know who is coming in and out of the police station. Each time I went there it was months apart.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there.

-

On the day they called you about your dog, the officers most likely told anyone who was on the shift to watch for you to come in about the dog -- and so the officer who was there when you picked up your dog knew your name. The second officer could have been working that same day and at the station when you were going to get your dog. The officers who remembered who you are most likely are good with names and faces (cops are trained to remember people and their names). I honestly do not think there is any covert surveillance of you is happening here -- it is most likely that the fact that a few officers remember your name and address is just a coincidence and you do not have anything to worry about here. If you have any more information to add or you would like to ask further questions, please let me know.

-

THANKS !

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU !!

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice