Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Hi is it best to go to court and just ask for public defender

Hi is it best to go to court and just ask for public defender on misdemeanors? the Da offered me no jail time and 200 fine would this still be the same if I fire my attorney and represent myself or have a public defender
Hello Jacustomer,

If you are planning on taking the DA's deal there really would be no reason to fire your public defender. If you want to try the case, or if you are sure there's a better deal out there than the one on the table, then it would be worthwhile to have your public defender lawyer relieved from the case and ask the judge to appoint another one.

While you probably wouldn't lose the deal on the table just because you fired your lawyer -- a DA usually lets the other side know when the offer is a "today and today only" special -- some DAs will not directly negotiate with an unrepresented defendant. So it's over all more efficient to get new counsel.