How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stevexo Your Own Question
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience:  Thirty years Criminal Defense
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Stevexo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a chargeback message from my merchant company, I

This answer was rated:

I received a chargeback message from my merchant company, I made the transaction by telephone and I used my merchant INTUIT processor page in the computer, the transaction was authorized, I have the ID number and authorzation number, the amount was $4,985.00 the funds were used to pay a shipping co that the customer chose to use to ship some hvac equipment he purchased from me. the customer asked me to wire the money to the shipping companies bank which I did. Know I'm finding out this was a scam and stand to loose the $4,985.00 if the card company wants it back. I need to know what my options are and if there is anyway to avoid paying almost $5,000 of my money back to cover the money that I already wired? how do I write a rebuttal letter, do you have a sample or can help me to write a good one? I also have a police report from local police financial crimes unit
Qualified as an expert in Criminal Law,30 years of Criminal Defense trial work. Hi I will be back with you shortly. Sincerely, steve
Hi glad to help! These types of scams are very prevalent and any time a person asks for money back out of monies they have sent, you know it is a scam. I cannot write letters on this site, but I can give you the correct legal advice.Your credit card company has an entire administrative procedure in place for you to challenge the charge-back. First you should call them about it. Then ask for their complaint form, each company usually has a standard form they want you to use.Use their form and internal procedure to dispute this, and the fact that it was authorized and you in good faith relied upon this is to be argued against the charge-back. Also if a company like them does not realize something is wrong, how were you to know. If you can present a compelling case why you should not be penalized with this charge back due to fraud many times they will reverse it.Also check your contract with them as many times if there is an authorization code given and there is fraud involved, but not by you, they will insure and indemnify you against this. Make sure you also supply them with the police report. Under the facts of this case and the authorization that was granted you have a very compelling argument against the charge-back, and if you do not timely challenge it you will not be able to reverse it. Good luck, Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Stevexo

Thank you for the advice thusfar. Here is the email i got from the merchant service co.

Chargeback Reason: Fraud - Processing Error

Dear Merchant,

account has been debited the chargeback amount for the chargeback reason above.
Your customer has received a temporary credit to their account from their bank;
please do NOT issue a credit to their account.

Instructions for
If you wish to initiate a rebuttal to this chargeback, send a
rebuttal package to the business address, fax number, or email below by
02-09-2013. Do NOT include photocopies of Identification, Credit Card, or

Your rebuttal package must include the following:

1. A
written and signed rebuttal letter.
2. A copy of this Chargeback Debit
Advice Letter
3. Copy of documentation pertaining to the transaction in


So they did not provide a form to fill out but sounds to me they say a hand written letter is what they require. so what should i include in this letter, a few starting lines is what i need.

Also if able to use my cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX

Thank you

Stuart G

Sure I can give you the basic letter as the site did not disclose your cell phone number, as we cannot list this type of personal information on this site. I would state as follows: Dear Sir/Madam, This is my formal letter to contest the wrongful charge-back which occurred on x date. This transaction should not result in a charge-back to my account as to do so would violate the terms our contract for services and result in a windfall to the customer for committing fraud, and having me act and expend funds in reliance upon it. There is no fraud on my end, and the transaction was entered into in good faith by me. Legally I can rely on the authorization to assume the funds are mine and have cleared and that they are subject to distribution at that point. Had you not provided an authorization number, I would not have so acted in good faith. My reliance on said authorization to my detriment should not result in my account being subject to the charge-back and in this situation your company is in a position to indemnify me due to fraud that was unknown to me, yet should have been identified by your company prior to authorization. I have included all of the needed documents, and would appreciate you getting back to me on this issue as soon as possible. Please note I have also included the police report to substantiate my claim. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX is a good basic outline for the letter. Good luck, Steve
Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience: Thirty years Criminal Defense
Stevexo and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I am very pleased with the suggestions and the direction you've pointed me in. (careful not to label as advice) After reviewing the (great attention to detail) answers you provided me I have a better understanding about the situation. If i'm able to i'll let you know how it all turns out.

Once again Thank you



Stuart Gregor

nine seven two 3 eight 8 for4 to 8

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions