TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

If a parolee with a history of drug abuse has a narcotic prescription

If a parolee with a history of drug abuse has a narcotic prescription that she/he is overusing, can the parole officer opt to distribute the prescription as needed?
If family members bring up the potential need for this to the parole officer, will the parolee be incarcerated?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

A parolee is prohibited from illegally using drugs. If he/she is not using them according to the prescription, then the use is, technically, illegal, which can be grounds for a parole violation.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Are you asking if the parole officer will physically distribute the narcotics to the parolee?

Customer:

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes. I would like to ask the officer to do so.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

I can't imagine a parole officer agreeing to do that. First off, it is illegal to possess narcotics that don't belong to you, so the parole officer would be in violation of the law by doing so.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Second, a parole officer supervises probably well over a hundred parolees, and he/she simply won't have time to be the pharmacy for each parolee.

Customer:

I understand. It was a simple question.

Customer:

Thanks.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

Yes...

Customer:

My mother has put in for a parole transfer to live with me...this was BEFORE the current concerns...

Customer:

may I put a hold on it?

Customer:

I just don't know what to do at this point. I see a train coming, and I can't stop it.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Sure. You don't have to accept someone you don't want to.

Customer:

Of course, but is there such thing as a "hold" on a transfer, or do I have to rescind the offer to house her, and then pick up the paperwork all over again should we be in a better position to do so?

Customer:

It has taken over 9 months to get this far with it.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You can put it on hold, you just need to inform the parole officer and tell them that you need more time. You should, however, give them some timeframe. If you can't put it on hold indefinitely.

Customer:

Thank you.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Glad to help.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer.

Customer:

okay. How does this site know that I have paid my fee when I log back in with another question?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Once you "rate" this question, you will be charged. If you have another question later and post it, you will be charged another fee.

Customer:

Please explain. It said I paid for a membership of $30/month with a 7-day free trial...5 questions/month.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

OK. If you have a membership, you can "rate" 5 questions a month.

Customer:

got it. Goodnight.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Have a good evening.