Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

How can I get a warrant for my arrest dropped, due to I have

Customer Question

How can I get a warrant for my arrest dropped, due to I have childrent and I have no one to care for them. I have a warrant for not completing my weekenders due to my ex wife wanted to give up our kids, if I did not come pick them up. I started my weekender program and completed 2 days out of the 15. I went to pick my kids up and my car broke down with engine problems and I was stranded in another state for a month due to money issues.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 1 year ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

So you are wondering how to have a warrant lifted?

meigs004 :

What were you serving the weekends on?

Customer:

Hello,, I am doing ok

Customer:

It was for a DUR

meigs004 :

Great, good to hear.

Customer:

When I was arrested, I was not aware of it because I have a wyoming license and it was in colorado.

Customer:

This is from a DWAI, that I had received

meigs004 :

To answer your question, a court is simply not going to lift a warrant for arrest, unless the issue that is underlying the arrest warrant is addressed. In this case, the fact that you were to serve on the weekends, and did not show, is enough cause for them to issue the warrant. In these circumstances, it is best to contact an attorney who can either contact a judge in the jurisdiction where the warrant was issued, and arrange for an agreement where you can serve the time and still be able to arrange care for your children. However, until you address that issue, the warrant can not be lifted, especially where a warrant was issued for your failure to appear.

Customer:

I started the program, but I just was not able to finish

meigs004 :

I understand completely, and you have exigent circumstances surrounding the non-appearance, however, the warrant can not be lifted without a judge lifting the warrant. In order to lift the warrant the issue underlying the warrant must be remedied.

Customer:

I also made attempts to restart the program and when I did they told me I had to contact the courts before I could restart it, I made phone calls to the court and no one ever responded in a decent time frame

meigs004 :

I understand, and that is all relevant to your attempt to restart the program, and to comply with the obligations, but the Judge/court does not know of that yet, as that information has not been provided to them. The clerk of court can not remedy a filed warrant. The only departments that could is the DA's office that prosecuted the case, or a defense attorney contacting a judge.

Customer:

I also contacted the DA's office of where it came from and they told me to call the court room to see if I could get it lifted.

Customer:

ok, that makes sense

meigs004 :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

So I just need to contact a defense attorney, so they can speak on my behalf to get this issue resolved?

meigs004 :

Yes.

Customer:

Do you know of any defense attorney's in this area that could assit me, that will not be too expensive

Customer:

Would filing a motion do me any good at all?

meigs004 :

I can not refer attorney's per the terms of this website. I apologize, but if you want a referral then contact the state bar association or your local bar association. A motion is likely, but sometimes a call would do.

Customer:

I have made a phone call to the court, but no one answered, so I left a voicemail, I will try to contact them again tomorrow

Customer:

are you able to assit on the proper wording of the motion.

meigs004 :

I can not give specific legal advice or provide legal documents either. The terms of the website do not allow, as it would be the giving of legal advice.

meigs004 :

I apologize.

meigs004 :

An attorney in your area would be able to get one out pretty fast.

Customer:

Its ok.

Customer:

You have answered my questions

Customer:

thank you

meigs004 :

Great. You are most welcome, and I wish you the best of luck. If this has sufficiently answered your questions if you would please provide a positive rating by clicking the smiley face and submitting so that I may be credited for our time together I would truly appreciate it.

Customer:

sure

Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would just like to say thanks again for the information that was
Given to me. If it was not for the information I received from speaking with someone from this site, my situation would of been worse. I think that this is an excellent site for information and guidance.

Thanks again
Expert:  Meigs replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Thank you for allowing me to help you, and I hope everything turned out great for you!