Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was arrested and held for a little over 13 hours on a DUI

I was arrested and held for a little over 13 hours on a DUI / Careless Driving charge in Mccracken County, KY. Upon taking the intoxilizer breath test which came back as a .03 which is well below the limit. I am not sure why I was detained for the additional time when it appears that all indications that I was not intoxicated. What should I expect when I go to court on the 15th of January, 2013?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

The reason you were held is that you were arrested on two separate charges. One was the DUI, but the other is careless driving. Careless driving can result from any type of driving infraction and need not be alcohol-related at all.

If you are over 21, you are certainly way below the intox limit. However if you were in a commercial vehicle, the .04 is enough to get you charged with DUI in Kansas and if you're a minor, anything above a .02 is a problem.

As a defendant, it is never a wise idea to deal directly with a prosecutor. First of all in many jurisdictions a prosecutor will not negotiate with an unrepresented defendant. But even if he will, anything you say to the prosecutor can be used against you, so that if the prosecutor won't give you what you want, you have then made an admission of guilt to him, which will tie your lawyer's hands aftewards. What a lawyer says about you when negotiating with a prosecutor can almost never be used against you..

So for the best possible chance of getting the DUI dismissed and the careless driving disposed of in some way that will minimize points and fines, assuming it's not possible to get that dismissed along with the DUI, you should have a lawyer and bring him to your first court date. Otherwise, if you can't afford one, you should plead NOT GUILTY to the charges to keep all of your rights open and then ask the judge for a public defender.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am 38 years of age and have no prior issues with the law. I thought maybe I could talk to the county attorney due to the fact that I live 3 hours from the town that this all occurred in.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas,

There is nothing wrong per se with a defendant calling the prosecutor. It's done all the time, and in this case, the DUI should be an outright dismissal. If it backfires on you, however, you'll be very sorry you didn't get a lawyer.

Criminal cases can have lifetime consequences. And like I say, if you make admissions to the prosecutor and he still won't lower or dismiss the charges, then everything you've said will be a handicap you can't get out from under.

Your call, of course. But from my perspective, when there are criminal charges involved, it frequently pays to look not at what is short term convenient but at the long road ahead.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to deal with this.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.