Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

is there a penalty for failing a interlock breathalyzer test

is there a penalty for failing a interlock breathalyzer test in Clackamas county? this is Oregon-.
Failure to install an ordered interlock device results in immediate suspension of the person's driver's license without reinstatement up to 1 year and it is a Class A traffic violation punishable by up to a $2000 fine. See ORS 813.602.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already have a interlock device in my car! what I am asking is what can happen if I breath into it and it says I failed? I was not drinking alcohol. but I am on a court mandated order for a DUI and am worried. I am on a diversion program.

I am sorry, I did slightly misunderstand what you were asking. I thought you were asking about failure to install the device. Please accept my apologies.

The failure of an interlock test is treated as a probation violation, which means that the court can revoke your deferred sentence and it would become a regular DUI and you would lose the deal you received. Also, the failure can result in a suspension of your driving privileges for up to 1 year beyond the original suspension.

The reason you could not find anything is because this is dealt with as a probation violation, which is where the court will revoke any deals and can impose the original sentence on you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX same rules apply if you are on a diversion program ? or if you had an actual conviction ?

Yes it applies and it means the court can revoke the diversion and impose the regular sentence upon you for the violation.