Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

does an out of state dui conviction affect a maine drivers

does an out of state dui conviction affect a maine drivers licence?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I reply.

This depends - can you please tell me what state the original DUI conviction is from?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

west va

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, friend.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

Unfortunately, both Maine and WV are part of what is known as the Driver License Compact (DLC). The DLC has the states share the DUI and traffic violations of every state that is a member (their motto is "One Driver, One License, One Record").

If you receive a DUI in one state that is a member, it will count as though you received in your home state as well. Therefore, the conviction may affect your driver license in such way that unless you do all that is necessary (that a court orders yo to do in ) WV and the Court suspends your license, and/or if WV suspends your license administratively as part of the overall punishment, Maine will do so as well until WV releases the suspension.

However, if WV does not suspend your license due to the DUI, Maine will not do so either, of course.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.