Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.

State of Kansas: in september of 1997 I was convicted of Criminal

State of Kansas: in september of 1997 I was convicted of Criminal Violation of burglary of a vehicle. I expunged the conviction in Aprill 2011. Do I have the right to purchase and own firearms?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If you have had the charge expunged, then it is as if it never happened. All records regarding the arrest and conviction should have been removed from the public records and a background check should not turn up the offense.
.
With that said, if it has been expunged, it would not show up on a criminal background check and wouldn't prevent you from purchasing a firearm.
.
Further, Kansas has a law that states that someone who is convicted of a non-violent felony has an automatic ban on owning a gun until 5 years after they have finished any sentence. Some felonies require a 10 year waiting period, but you would have passed that as well. Then under Kansas law, the restoration of firearm rights is automatic – a previously prohibited person does not have to take any affirmative steps to restore their rights once eligible again.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would this hinder my ability to gain a concealed carry permit?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
No, once something has been expunged, it legally doesn't exist so can't be held against you for a CCW permit.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank your for your help, I do appreciate your hard work!!!!