Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

This subject involves a 17-year-old juvenile being dispostioned,

This subject involves a 17-year-old juvenile being dispostioned, for his first offense, in juvenile court for an attempted robbery charge. It stemmed from a shoplifing incident that went bad. Howerver, there was no weapon involved, no gang activity, and not directed toward the elderly or disabled, Basically, he defended himself from an over-zealous security guard.

I understand that adults can be subject to the 3-Strikes Law in California, referring to violent & serious felonies. From what I also understand, juveniles, too, are subject to the 3-Strike rule for violent & serious felonies, pursuant to W&I Code 707(b). When reading W&I Code 707(b), attempted robbery is not listed, but it is listed in other Penal Codes as it relates to adults.

However, I’m trying to determine specifically for the charge of attempted robbery (PC 664/211) if it be considered a strikeable offense for a juvenile? I have not been able to find evidence yet to support affirmation of such. Might you know one way or the other?
A juvenile adjudication for attempted robbery did not qualify as a prior strike conviction within the meaning of the three strikes law because it is not an offense listed in Welfare and Institutions Code section 707, subdivision (b). See: People v. Lang (Cal. App., 2010)

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the case law! And thank you for your answer.

Thank you very much.