Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

Im so new to this. I was arrested for retail theft misdemeanor

I'm so new to this.

I was arrested for retail theft misdemeanor 1. This is my first criminal offense ever and I didn't know how to go about the process. I was let go on ROR and I didn't realize until a week before my preliminary hearing that I was supposed to go apply for a Public Defender. (I thought they simply assigned you one if you couldn't afford a lawyer) I've gone to the Defenders office 3 times. The first on Friday I was too late, the ssecond time they told me they weren't taking applications because of the holidays and everything being so crazy. I came in today and was told the same thing. My preliminary hearing is tomorrow and I have no clue what to do and I'm scared like crazy. What do I do?

Thank you for the information and your question. Don't worry about tomorrow. You simply need to let the court know that you have not had success yet with applying for a public defender but that you cannot afford an attorney. The judge will then either appoint one there and continue your case, or continue your case so that you have time to get with your public defender. The judge will probably enter a not guilty plea for you, which you can change at a latter date if you and your attorney believe it is the best option.

Let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

You can reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear. I, unfortunately, have no control over how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a negative rating for having been honest with you about the law. Please reply to me and let me know if you are having difficulty with the rating system or even seeing it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. You've made my heart rate go down tremendously.

You're welcome and best of luck to you in the future!