TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

I am not a criminal. I send myself personal information from

Customer Question

I am not a criminal. I send myself personal information from my job on Late October. someone stole mine information and posted online and now they are changing me for. computer fraud and abuse. They are changing me in the united states district court
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. How can I help you? What is your legal question for me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How many years in jail can I spend in the state of Virginia for "posting students grades online" Which I never did I just saw them but never posted them online but I was the one that last access that file. Can they give me a plea deal if I have 0 Criminal records and so?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

Can you tell me the exact charge?  In other words, what is the code section that you are accused of violating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

y the
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g, and Virginia Code § 22.1-287.
(Id. ¶¶ 23, 24)

federal Computer Fraud - 3 -
and Abuse Act, and Virginia’s Computer Crimes Act

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will check the possible punishments and get back to you shortly. It may take about 10-15 minutes. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

Violation of Virginia Code § 22.1-287 is a Class 3 misdemeanor, which means that it is punishable by a fine of not more than $500.

A violation of 20 U.S.C. § 1232g is a misdemeanor and punishable by up to a $5,000 fine.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how about a volation of federal Computer Fraud - 3 -

Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 4 years ago.
Under the circumstances you've described, a violation of the federal Computer Fraud statute is a term of imprisonment up to 10 years and a fine not to exceed $250,000. The actual code section is 18 USC 1030. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030

As far as the Virginia statute, it really depends on how it is charged. Below is a link with the punishment ranges for the various violations of the Virginia statute.
http://courses.cs.vt.edu/cs3604/lib/Crime/virginia.law.html