Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Harassment question

Harassment question

JD 1992 : What is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My girlfriend is a subleaser for a room in a 3br house.
The situation between the roommates has gotten bad and the original subleasee is kicking her out.
They exchanged some pretty nasty emails so far.
At this point, the subleasee's boyfriend has contacted my girlfriend with a nasty email.
I want to protect her and don't want either of them to contact her again.

The problem is that they haven't done anything specifically 'wrong' yet.
While his email was nasty and offending, he did not threaten her physically.
However, she is obviously uncomftorable by his presence (he is always at the house, even though he is not a tenant).
She is currently staying with me until the end of her lease.
My final question is, is there a way for me to send them both an email stating that if they contact her again it would be considered harassment?
And telling them to only contact her through me for the remainder of the moving-out details?
And if so, what would be the most optimal email to have them back off of her?

I obviously prefer not going to the police or issue a cease and desist until they persistently harass her.

p.s. - important detail

The subleasee has just passed her bar exam, and the boyfriend is trying to pass his.
Obviously, they have a better understanding of the legal system than we do.

You can send them one, it's legal, but it really doesn't have any legal effect. Since you're not an attorney you can't officially represent her in any way.

Same answer.

The optimal way to handle this is to get a local lawyer to send them a letter on his letterhead. Most lawyers would do this for her and charge little or nothing and the lawyer could make it either informal or use the cease and desist language, there is no reason not to, and instruct them to contact you instead of her.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating since that is the only way I get credit for my work. However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.